Share it with your friends!

Monday, January 27, 2020

The curious case of Arachnophobia.


Last weekend when my spouse was not in town, I missed him terribly. Who else will open jars for me?  I have a runner’s backpack which holds water too, but whatever I do, I just can’t seem to open it on my own. Every time I walk to him to open a sealed jar, he responds with his typical ‘Are you even an Engineer?’ As if four years at engineering college they teach you to open jars. 
Dude. Do you know how hard is Digital System Processing? Artificial Intelligence? Microprocessors? C? C++? Fact is that I say all this in my head only. I am too tired to start an argument which will eventually end in his favor. That’s what marriage does to you. You learn to let go because arguments can be exhausting. You can very well spend that energy watching Netflix and chill your brain.

Then there was another question which he asked. ‘What do single women do to open sealed jars?’. ‘They call other people’s husbands!!’ I promptly answered. Then he opened the jar faster than usual.

The primary task of the spouse is to take out the trash, open jars, and scare away bugs because I am scared of reptiles and rodents, irrespective of size and color. Thankfully there aren't any of those here. When I was younger, my Dad did the bug elimination dutifully, without counter questioning. We used to live in an independent house in Trivandrum adjacent to an empty plot squirming with rodents and reptiles of all sorts. These pests had no boundaries and used to visit us whenever they got bored of their half acre land. Of all these creatures the one that terrified me most was the flying cockroach. You spot it once, and the next microsecond it is not there. It keeps us on our toes guessing where it could have flown off to, only to realize that it is on your shoulder, wondering why you look so pale and petrified for no reason. I just can’t handle the suspense and horror it brings with its existence and continues until I am convinced that it is ‘taken care of’. Poor Papa had to get rid of it and show it to me as proof for me to calm down. I think that was when my anxiety would have started.

Image Courtesy: Here
Spiders bring with it a different type of horror altogether. Right after I have stepped into the bathroom and shed my worldly obligations, the spider comes into sight. The pervert would be sitting comfortably in a corner near the ceiling almost saying ‘ I am the Adam to your Eve’. When we have crossed a certain age, screaming and running outside like Archimedes is frowned at by the society. So we have to literally scream inside and continue the bath, constantly looking at the spider without batting an eyelid. I wouldn’t have made extended eye contact as such with any human ever. The liquid dripping down my face could have been water or tears. The torture continues until the towel hits the face and for a moment I missed the spider and in a flash of a second it is not in the same place anymore. ‘Mummyyyyyyyyy….!!!!!!’

This is when my Mom got royally pissed and reminded me that I was not a baby anymore and that when I get married people may think I am possessed and send me back home (which also seemed like a good idea!)

To my loving family, I would like to enlighten you that fear of spiders is known as Arachnophobia. It is real. It is incurable.

8 comments:

  1. You said it, Anita. Arachnophobia is incurable and I'm another victim. I too have gone through each and every detail of your life experience as an archnophobic person. With lots of 'fear', i enjoyed reading your blog :-)
    -sony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same pinch no back pinch Sony :D Thank you for reading !

      Delete
  2. Well written... Feels tension free after reading your vlogs after a hectic day in office..
    Best line was the primary task of husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about the jars. I especially struggle with the child proof ones which ironically my 11 year old can open , but I cannot. So in my house they are called Sunitha proof. :D. Also my biggest fear is flying insects , the panic that it brings is astronomical. I'm generally fine with spiders and other bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Struggling to open a jar after all that talk about feminism I make feels like a complete fail :D
      Flying cockroaches are the most terrifying creatures I tell you !

      Thank you for the comment :-)

      Delete
  4. Even my blog has visitors during lockdown! I can imagine how bored you must be :D
    Thank you, keep visiting for more nonsense ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Spread the word!